For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/
e-mail me at http://firstname.lastname@example.org/Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, powerpoint, music or a video.
Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There really is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does. If too ill to work while away, be sure to attach a note from home to any overdue work when you hand it in and I will most likely waive any late deduction.
If you can't read the PowerPoint material on your computer, download PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft. It is free.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Education's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode posted in the classroom to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
My tutorial times are officially 2:55-3:15 every Monday and Friday. However, I am available most days before school, at noon and after school. Drop by or make an appointment if you need guaranteed time.
Social Studies 11
The test on Provincial and Municipal Government will be a take-home test, assigned on Monday, October 7. This is to be handed in the following day. Students who have work or other commitments on Tuesday night must see Mr. Benoy to arrange to write an alternate test earlier or later in the week. The next test of the first part of our History unit will not be for several weeks as we will combine the introduction to history, the pre-World War I material, and the World War I material into a single test.
There is a major research assignment currently underway, the Family History - Immigration Assignment (With additional options for International and First Nations students.) The due date for this work is not until right after the Christmas holidays, to allow plenty of time for research and discussion with family members.)
- Monday, October 6 - Take up #1-6, p 196 (red book) and #2-4, p. 246 (blue book). Take up homework. Discuss Aboriginal self-government. Mayor Mussatto's PowerPoint on Municipal affairs. Take home test on Provincial and Municipal government. Write a paragraph to a page explaining why we should study History. 10 marks. Due next class.
- Tuesday, October 7 - Introduction to History. Family History and Immigration Assignment or alternative (see above) assigned and explained. Take home test assigned. (Note: students with out of school schedules that make this difficult can take the test on either Monday or Wednesday -- see Mr. Benoy personally to make this arrangement.
- Wednesday, October 8 - Take up assignment. Introduction to History. Filmstrip: Opening the Canadian West & questions. Read pp. 2-9 & do #1-3, p. 9.
- Thursday, October 9 - The Laurier Boom. Filmstrips on immigration. The Shaws of Midnapore and A New Homeland. For each filmstrip, answer the following: 1. Why did this group decide to come to Canada? What pushed them out of their old homes or lured them to Canada? 2. How did this group of immigrants fit into Canadian society at the time? How did other Canadians treat them? Read pp. 9-13. Do#1-4, p. 13 & sidebar #1-2, p. 11.
- Friday, October 10 - Take up homework. . Immigration filmstrips: Dekasegi (same routine as Wednesday) & Toronto the Good - with assigned questions. Read pp. 13-16. Do #13, p. 16.
Comparative Civilizations 12
For additional video material on Islam, see Mr. Benoy's online video directory.
The next unit test will not be for several weeks, as we will test Islamic Civilization and the Western Middle Ages together.
- Monday, October6 - Byzantine Architecture PowerPoint. Work on the Rome & Byzantium Package.
- Tuesday, October 7 - Icons PowerPoint. Work on package.
- Wednesday, October8 - Ancient World Unit Test. See above for details on what to expect on this test. Rome & Byzantium package due next class.
- Thursday, October 9 - Roman & Byzantine Civilizations package due by 4:30 p.m. today. Islamic Civilizations Package introduced. Video: The World; A TV History; Islam. Handouts - basic beliefs of Islam (Sorry, not online yet - but will be soon -- perhaps Tuesday. Until then, go to this University of Calgary site.) Be sure to visit the BBC's Religions & Ethics Site - Islam. Work on package.
- Friday, October 10 - Islamic Architecture PowerPoint. Work on package.
If you have time to watch some documentaries on Russian and Soviet History, pick some from PBS' Commanding Heights video clips on the Soviet Union and Mr. Benoy's Video Directory on Russia and the USSR to 1939. See also some of the PowerPoint presentations from other sources, linked to from Mr. Benoy's Topic 3 Webpage.
- Monday, October 6 - The Russian Revolutions. (Base notes).
- Tuesday, October 7 - AV on the Russian Revolutions.
- Wednesday, October 8 - From Lenin to Stalin. (Base notes).
- Thursday, October 9 - Complete From Lenin to Stalin (base notes) and do The Stalin Revolution; Industrialization & Collectivization (base notes).
- Friday, October 10 - The Great Purge (base notes).