Please note: I am too busy to update this site right now and major revisions are needed now that GooglePages has been terminated and my work transferred to GoogleSites, which works differently.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website.
This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, PowerPoint, music or a video.
Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does. If too ill to work while away, be sure to attach a note from home to any overdue work when you hand it in and I will most likely waive any late deduction.
If you can't read the PowerPoint material on your computer, download PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft. It is free.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Education's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://streaming.discoveryeducation.com/index.cfm. Use the passcode posted in the classroom. I cannot post this online, but you can confirm the new number by looking at what is posted in the classroom.
Please note: North Vancouver schools have had a hold-back imposed on their supplies budget. As a result, I shall be handing out far fewer paper handouts in class than in the past. Fortunately it is all available here, online. Paper copies will be made available for many items only to those students who specifically request them because they have difficulty accessing online material. Help me save money for the school and also preserve forests by using online material as much as possible.
- Monday, February 15 - Europe Before the Great War. Complete part 2, Causes of War; Reasons for Peace material (base notes, PowerPoint).
- Tuesday, February 16 - Introductory music: The Corries: The Green Fields of France. World War I; 1914-1916ish. (Base notes - section 1 & section 2, PowerPoint).
- Wednesday, February 17 - Introductory music: Callin Doon the Line. We will continue with the lecture material on World War 1, finishing 1915-16 ( section 2 of the base notes), and probably start looking at 1917 (base notes, PowerPoint).
- Thursday, February 18 - Complete 1917 (base notes) if we did not do so on Monday. 1918 - War's End (base notes - 1918, PowerPoint). Be sure to look at the BBC's animated map of World War I. Another very good summary of the war's events can be found at World War One: 1914 - 1918 Map - This provides a fine description of the big events of the war and is superb summary material.
- Friday, February 19 - Introductory music and video. War; the German Experience (base notes).
Comparative Civilizations 12
The Greece package is underway. Many students have extremely busy work schedules during the Olympic period, so I have agreed to an extension in handing in the Greek package to Tuesday, February 23 -- the day after our Professional Day. If you want to hand in your work before this - on paper or by e-mail submission, I would be delighted to receive it early.
Expect a unit test on the Ancient World when we complete the following package on the Roman and Byzantine world -- probably at the very end of February.
- Monday, February 15 - Greek Architecture PowerPoint - overhead notes. Be sure to read Greek Architecture: Pursuing Perfection Adapted From: Architecture For Dummies. Work on the package.
- Tuesday, February 16 - See episode 6 of The Western Tradition; Greek Thought (Available online). Work on package.
- Wednesday, February 17 - Video: The Western Tradition: Episode 8; The Hellenistic Age. Available at http://www.learner.org/ . Work on Package.
- Thursday, February 18 - Rome Package assigned. Video: Art of the Western World; The Classical Ideal - Part 2. Available at http://www.learner.org/. Work on package. Your Greece package is due Friday -- in class or right after school , by 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 19 - Video: The Western Tradition; Episode 9; The Rise of Rome. Available at http://www.learner.org/. Work on packages. Hand in Greece package today by 4:30 p.m.
Social Studies 11
Note: We have the pleasure of working with Mr. St. Laurent, a student teacher from UBC, this term. He completed his short first practicum in the Fall and is now with us for his long practicum. If the short practicum is anything to go by, you are in luck having him work with you.
I still have over-all responsibility for the class, but Mr. St. Laurent will do most of the teaching for the next couple of months. There is no shortage of extra help available to you between the two of us!
Find Mr. St. Laurent's lesson plans at:http://mrstlaurent.blogspot.com/ .