Contact me by e-mail at: email@example.com
So you just want to see photos of Sutherland activities? Click here to see my Picasa Albums.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/.
With Essay #1 completed, Essay #2 is now underway in the background.
Our Topic #2 test was postponed to Tuesday, March 5. We will work into the next unit in the classes leading up to this. Be aware that material from these lessons will not be tested on the Topic #2 Unit Test. Be sure to pick up the plan for Topic #3 and Topic #3 Questions to see the work for the next unit, which we are starting this week.
- Monday, March 11 - The Great Purge (Base Notes) PowerPoint. If you have an hour and a half to spare, watch Stalin; Man of Steel. Another video option is Stalin and the Modernization of Russia, available on TeacherTube.
- Tuesday, March 12 - Soviet Foreign Policy Between the Wars (Base Notes) PowerPoint. If time -- and if available, watch The Road to War; The Soviet Union. Sorry, It seems to be unavailable on the Internet. If it is not available, we will get a head start on Thursday's material, with The Road to War; Italy.
- Wednesday, March 13 - The League of Nations. Base lecture notes. If we get a chance we will continue the video The Road to War; Italy -- or start it, if we didn't do so on Tuesday. For a good treatment of the League's dealing with a major dispute, see ITV Schools' TV's The League of Nations and the Manchurian Dispute (20 minutes). There is much fascinating material at theLeague of Nations Homepage. M. Cliffe has a couple of online PowerPoints on the League: The League of Nations and Failures of the League.
- Thursday, March 14 - Italy and Fascism (Base Notes, PowerPoint). If you have time, watch Fascism in Colour; Mussolini in Power - with early colour and colourized footage.
- Friday, March 15 - Introductory video, Berlin in the 1920s. Germany, France and Britain in the 1920s (base notes). I expect we will only cover Germany and, perhaps, France in the time available.
Block 2 can link to Mr. Wong's blog at: misterwong.weebly.com
- Monday, March 11 - Hand in the Architecture Hunt assignment. Take up #1-6, p. 10. Watch Crash Course; Christianity From Judaism to Constantine. Assignment: Conversion to Christianity -- Imagine that you are a young Greek person living in the city of Rome. Write a letter to your parents in Athens explaining why you have decided to give up worshiping the old Greek Gods and become a Christian. You will have to find out something about both Ancient Greek religion and early Christianity to do this. The assignment will be marked out of 10 and will be marked on both content and composition. It is due next class. Note: When we deal with religion in this course it is not with the intention of supporting one religious view over another. What we want to do is to understand basic beliefs of each religion and know something about the impact that any particular religion has had on the world. We do this using an historical approach.
- Tuesday, March 12 - Hand in the Conversion to Christianity assignment. Introduction to Legions -- importance, organization (including two short videos: video1 and video 2) and vulnerabilities. Video Legions of Rome (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)and questions. Read pp. 10-12. Do #1-6, p. 12. You might enjoy playing a small game from the BBC - Romans vs. Britons.
- Wednesday, March 13 - Take up #1-6, p. 12. Look at the sidebar on p. 11. Video: Constantine and questions. Read pp. 12-16. Do #1-6, p. 16. Bring coloured pencils to next class for map work.
- Thursday, March 14 - Take up #1-6, p. 16. Complete watching Constantine and the questions. Hosford Atlas, pp. 3 & 4. Also look at this video of the changing map of Europe during this time. Map Assignment: The "Barbarian Invasions." 10 marks. Complete for next class.
- Friday, March 15 - Hand in Barbarian Invasions map assignment.Watch Terry Jones' Surprising History of Rome and questions. For homework, be sure to make flash cards and spend a little time reviewing them.