Contact me by e-mail at: email@example.com
So you just want to see photos of Sutherland activities? Click here to see my Picasa Albums.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/.
Topic #4's plan is now posted -- with the changes to the Topic #3 and Essay #2 dates duly noted.
- Monday, April 8 - Finish watching The Road to War; The USA. Watch The Road to War; Japan.
- Tuesday, April 9 - Japan between the wars PowerPoint (base notes). For a look at Japan between the wars, see this colour footage (10 minutes). If you have an hour and a half free, watch Japan's War in Colour. Another excellent series is The World at War. Watch Banzai (51 minutes) -- this is the best documentary series on World War II.
- Wednesday, April 10 - Hitler & the Rise of the Nazis PowerPoint (base notes). Interested in getting into the mind of the Fuhrer? Watch Inside the Mind of Adolf Hitler, a bio-documentary based on a psychological profile of the German leader that was put together by US intelligence services during World War II. Interested in Nazi Germany? Watch The Story of the Third Reich (Part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9,part 10, part 11, part 12, part 13, part 14, part 15) - up to part 3 covers the period before the Second World War.
- Thursday, April 11 - Complete Hitler & the Rise of the Nazis PowerPoint (base notes). Begin Hitler's Germany -PowerPoint (base notes), and AV - probably from the 20th Century History series - but unavailable online. Leni Riefenstahl was one of the 20th century's greatest film-makers -- and a Nazi. See Triumph des Willens, and Olympia (on the 1936 Olympics).
- Friday, April 12 - Unit Test Topic #3. Topic #3 work due by 4:30 p.m. today.
To help students who struggle with reading, I have adapted readings and questions from a simpler text for them. Only do this material if you have been asked by Mr. Benoy to do so. These students will not do the regular homework when this alternative is given.
- Monday, April 8 - Take up Justinian assignment (see last Friday's blog). Video: Byzantium & (if available and do the questions for Byzantium; Part 2 If this film is not available, we will use the video it is taken from: Byzantium; The Lost Empire; For Ever and Ever and do these questions instead. Read the Byzantine Empire Notes handout. Study for the The Byzantine Empire & Eastern Europe/Islam test next Monday. Note: Thursday and Friday's material for this week will not be on this test.
- Tuesday, April 9 - Handout: The Conversion of Kievan Rus. Video: Ivan the Terrible. How did Ivan the Terrible earn his cruel reputation? Read pp. 100-103. Do #1-7, p. 103.
- Wednesday, April 10 - Take up homework. Ms. Knapp will present an introduction to Islam. Video: The World; A TV History and questions. Read pp. 103-107. Do #1-7, p. 107. Adapted reading & questions: Read "The Rise of the Moslem Empire, pages 68-72 of World History I. Make flash cards for the important terms given on page 68. Answer the What do you think? questions on p. 73. If you are interested in learning much more about Islam and have a couple of hours to spare, watch Islam; Empire of Faith - Prophet Mohammed and the Rise of the Faith. This is really good and quite detailed. For a good, detailed, PBS documentary on the life of Muhammad, watch Muhammad; Legacy of a Prophet. If you would prefer a cartoon version of the same thing, watch Muhammad; The Last Prophet.
- Thursday, April 11 - Take up #1-7, p. 107. The religious background to Islamic culture. Handouts . PowerPoint on Islamic Architecture (from Mr. Benoy's Comparative Civilizations 12 class). Read pp. 107-110. Do #1-5, p. 110. Adapted reading & questions: Read "The Culture of the Moslems" pages 74-78 of World History I. Make flash cards for the important terms on p. 74. Answer the What do you think? questions on p. 79. If you have the chance, go to the BBC's excellent web pages on Islam and explore. IslamiCity is another good web site for information on Muslim culture.
- Friday, April 12 - Take up #1-5, p. 110. Watch the video: What the Ancients Did for Us - The Islamic World and take notes on what exactly Islamic Civilization passed on to us. Complete PowerPoint on Islamic Architecture. Study for the test - be sure to make and use flash cards.