Use this blogsite to see what work we will be doing and note homework assignments. I will give advance warning about tests here and inform you of their mark breakdwon. The assignments themselves will be posted on my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/ .
Note: Some but not all of the handout materials will also be made available over the Internet from this site. Also use the website to link to resources and read course and school information -- like course objectives, image galleries, and other information pertaining to my classes, or clubs and groups that I am affiliated with.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode provided on your course outline to register. If you have lost it, see me for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
I have a student teacher this semester, Miss Hartigan, who is currently working with my grade 8s and will also working with my regular 11 block. She will also be posting information on her own blog and website. These can be found at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ for the blog and http://christinahartigan.googlepages.com/ for the website.
Social Studies 8
Go to Miss Hartigan's blogsite for lesson plans at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ .
Social Studies 11 Honours
The next unit test will not be until next week and it will cover chapter 4 and 5 material. It will likely involve 40 or so multiple choice questions (1 mark each) and 3 from a choice of 8 long answer questions (6 marks each) for a grand total of about 58 marks. The usual bonus opportunity for 5 bonus marks applies; a minimum of 25 cards is requied to earn this.
The essay coming out of the Essay Writing Workshop material is formally assigned and we will aim to set a due date for it this week. I think some point in the first week back after Spring Break makes sense (hopefully we can avoid tests and other big due dates in other classes).
- Monday, March 5 - * We will establish the due date for Essay Workshop assignment.Take up #1-5, p. 93 & #1-6, p. 97 - note #3 should say 1973, not 1997. video: Genetically Modified Food; Panacea or Poison and questions. Read pp. 97-105. Do #1-7, p. 102 & #1-6, p. 105.
- Tuesday, March 6 - Damnations! Thwarted again. A clerical error resulted in there being no computers available for our planned computer lab. Sorry folks. Plan B involved seeing the Video: Resources & Conservation (available at United Streaming) and questions. We continued Ch. 4 PowerPoint. Read pp. 105-107. Do #1-4, p. 108.
- Wednesday, March 7 - Take up hw. Complete Ch. 4 Powerpoint & begin Ch. 5 PowerPoint. Read pp. 116-120. Do #1, p. 118, #1-4, p. 118 & #1-3, p. 120.
- Thursday, March 8 - Take up hw. Complete Ch. 5 PowerPoint. Read pp. 120-123. Do #1-5, p. 123.
- Friday, March 9 - Take up hw. Video: The Fragile Mountains. What steps are being taken in Nepal to address environmental problems? What role can the developed world play to help this impoverished country? Read pp. 123-131. Do #1-1-3, p. 129, #1-3, p. 130 & #1-2, p. 131.
Social Studies 11 (Regular)
The next test will be on Wednesday and will be a long one -- testing the Legislative, Executive and Judicial branches. The tmark breakdown will probably be 35 multiple choice (1 each), 5 definitions (2 each) and four from five long answer questions (6 each). The total is therefore likely to be out of 69 marks. At least 25 flash cards are needed to generate 5 bonus marks.
- Monday, March 5 - Take up Courts handout questions & #1-3, p. 75. Theories of Law sidebar, pp. 66-67. Complete PowerPoint. Comparison of Inquisitorial & Adversarial Systems. Read pp. 75-85. Do #1-3 (sidebar), p. 80, #1-2 (sidebar), p. 85 & #2, 3, & 7, p. 86.
- Tuesday, March 6 - Videos on Court system and questions. Prepare for the Unit Test on Wednesday.
- Wednesday, March 7 - Unit Test: Legislative, Executive & Judicial Branches. Read pp. 126-135. Do sidebar #2-3, p. 132. #1, 3 & 5, pp. 134-135.
- Thursday, March 8 - Take up homework. Filmstrips 1 & 2 and questions. Development of the Canadian Constitution. Read pp. 135-140. Do #1-3, p. 137 & 1-4, p. 140.
- Friday, March 9 - Take up homework. Filmstrip #3 Development of the Canadian Constitution. Read ppl 140-148. Do #1-2, p. 143, 1 &amp;amp;amp; 2, p. 147, 1 & 3, p. 148. Read the Constitution update handout and do the questions on it.