This should be a particularly interesting year. At some point we will move into the new building and stop worrying about it raining indoors and ceilings collapsing.
For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, powerpoint, music or a video.
Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There really is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode posted in the classroom to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
Social Studies 11
- Wednesday, Sept. 5 - Introduction & Expectations. Course Outline. Handout: What is Government?. Complete the questions for Thurs.
- Thursday, Sept. 6 - Take up responses. Why government? 3 branches of government. Sign out texts. Read pp. 2-6 in Government. Do #1-4, p. 6. Read pp. 220-227 in Counterpoints. Do #3 & 4, p. 226.
- Friday, Sept. 7 - T/U homework. Intro. to Ideologies. Origins and the Political Spectrum. Read pp. 7-15. Do #1-5, p. 11 & #1-6, pp. 15-16.
Comparative Civilizations 12
- Wednesday, Sept. 5 - Introduction & Expectations, including Course Outline. Questionnaire. Art Analysis format and example. Introduction to Civilization. Handouts: Principles of Design & Terms.
- Thursday, Sept. 6 - Egypt Package Assigned. Video – Legacy; Egypt. Work on package.
- Friday, Sept. 7 - Episode 2 – The Western Tradition (note: this is available by streaming video over the Internet from Annenburg/CPB - you will have to register, but there is no cost. Search for the title, then follow the links and a registration pop-up window will start you off.) Work on package.