For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, powerpoint, music or a video.Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There really is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode posted in the classroom to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
Social Studies 11
There will be a quiz on the introduction to government, ideologies & Canadian political parties next Wednesday (September 19) -- though we will begin looking at political parties on Tuesday. Note: This is a change from my original plan, which was to test Wednesday this week. This test will include political parties, which the original plan would have left until the next test. Next Tuesday is photo day, so I don't want this to interfere with your quiz.
I will post the breakdown for the quiz on the blog once it is written.
- Monday, September 10 - Take up #1-5, p. 11. 1-6, pp. 15-16. Origins of the Political Spectrum - including summary handout sheet. Ideology identification practice. Smith & Marx handout.
- Tuesday, September 11 - Video clip. PowerPoint – “Ideologies”. Other ways to show political spectrum & Ideologies summary sheet. More practice with ideologies.
- Wednesday, September 12 - Take up homework. . Hand back Government texts. Read the political parties update handout & do questions included. Lecture/discussion – from ideologies to political parties – national parties in Canada. Read Counterpoints pp. 255-258. Do #3 & 4, p. 258.
- Thursday, September 13 - Take up homework. Placing parties on the political spectrum. PowerPoint. BC & Canadian political parties. Read Counterpoints pp. 249-258. Do #1-5, p. 253, #4, p. 258 & sidebar #1-3, p. 257.
- Friday, September 14 - Take up #4, p. 258 & sidebar #1-3, p. 257. Elections handout. Elections in Canada – The first-by-the-post system. (If time; proportional representation too). Read sidebar in Counterpoints pp. 256-257. Do #1-3, p. 257. Read Government pp. 88-97. Do #4, p. 97.
Comparative Civilizations 12
***Your Egypt package is to be handed in on Friday of this week. The Greek package will be distributed on Thursday. You can either begin it, or use the class time to work on finishing Egypt. The unit test is still a couple of weeks away and it will cover all of the Ancient World, including: Egypt, Greece, Rome & Byzantium.
Please Note: the value of the Egypt package was not on the website before. It has now been added. Go to http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/egyptmaterial to recheck this.
- Monday, September 10 - Introduction to Architecture. Ancient Egyptian Architecture Powerpoint and Handout. Work on package.
- Tuesday, September 11 - Egyptian Sculpture handout. Work on package.
- Wednesday, September 12 - Egyptian painting and low relief sculpture. Work on package.
- Thursday, September 13 - Work block Greek package assigned.
Work on either package. Egypt due in class Friday.
- Friday, September 14 - Hand in Egypt package by 4:30 p.m. Video – Art of the Western World; The Classical Ideal – part 1. Work on either package. Egypt due in class Friday. Note: Video is available from CPB/Annenberg http://www.learner.org/ go to Video on Demand/Programs. Search for Art of the Western World; The Classical Ideal.
Here's a bonus for all you bloggers. The test for unit 1 is on the introduction to History, the content we covered in class and the readings that were assigned. I've just finished getting the exam ready and the mark break-down is as follows: 15 multiple choice, 10 definitions (I give you the definition and you provide the term or name), 5 definitions (I give you the term or name and you explain what it is or why the person is important), and one essay (6 marks for composition and 2 x6 for content). The total is therefore out of 53 marks. Your assigned work is out of 10 for the written material -- this must be done quite thoroughly, with paragraphs for all answers. The map is also valued at 10 -- so be thorough and accurate.
Topic #1 Quiz is this Thursday. All topic #1 work is due by 4:30 p.m. on this day. Essay #1 is due September 24.
- Monday, September 10 - Complete Theories of History. Writing History essays.
- Tuesday, September 11 - Complete Writing History essays & MLA style. (If time) Begin Themes and Topics in History 12.
- Wednesday, September 12 - Themes and Topics in History 12.
- Thursday, September 13 - Quiz on Topic #1. Topic #2 assigned. Be sure to pick up topic plan and questions.
- Friday, September 14 - Imperialism & Social Darwinism.
& Don't forget the Rugby World Cup, which starts this week!
Here's the schedule for this week: Note: My teams are highlighted.
M Date Team 1 Team 2 Pool Venue
1 07/09/2007 France Argentina D St Denis
2 08/09/2007 New Zealand Italy C Marseille
3 08/09/2007 Australia Japan B Lyon
4 08/09/2007 England USA A Lens
5 09/09/2007 Wales Canada B Nantes
6 09/09/2007 South Africa Samoa A Paris
7 09/09/2007 Scotland Repechage 1 C St Etienne
8 09/09/2007 Ireland Namibia D Bordeaux
9 11/09/2007 Argentina Georgia D Lyon
10 12/09/2007 USA Repechage 2 A Montpellier
11 12/09/2007 Japan Fiji B Toulouse
12 12/09/2007 Italy Romania C Marseille
13 14/09/2007 England South Africa A St Denis
14 15/09/2007 New Zealand Repechage 1 C Lyon
15 15/09/2007 Wales Australia B Cardiff
16 15/09/2007 Ireland Georgia D Bordeaux