For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/
e-mail me at http://email@example.com/
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, powerpoint, music or a video.
Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There really is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does.
If you can't read the PowerPoint material on your computer, download PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft. It is free.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode posted in the classroom to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
Social Studies 11
There is a major research assignment currently underway, the Family History - Immigration Assignment (With additional options for International and First Nations students.) The due date for this work is not until right after the Christmas holidays, to allow plenty of time for research and discussion with family members.)
Expect the next unit test when we finish the interwar years and World War II -- probably in about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. I expect it will include roughly the following (subject to revision): 40-45 multiple choice questions (1 mark each), 5 definition questions (2 marks each) and 4 out of 6 long answer questions (6 marks each) -- for a grand total of roughly 74-79 marks.
- Tuesday, November 13 - Take up sidebars p. 92 both on 95 & 96, #1-5, p. 98. Complete King & Country video and questions. Introduction to World War II. Read pp. 100-110. Do 1-4, p. 105, sidebar questions p. 106, 107, 110 & #1-3, p. 110.
- Wednesday, November 14 - Take up homework. Begin video series & questions; Episode I; Canada Remembers; Turning the Tide). WWII series. Read pp. 111-115. Do #1-4, p. 115.
- Thursday, November 15 - Take up homework. Continue video series & questions, Episode 2; Canada Remembers; The Liberators - D-Day to the Rhine. Read 115-122. Do #1, 2 & 4, p. 122.
- Friday, November 16 - Take up homework. Continue video series & questions. Episode 3; Canada Remembers; Endings & Beginnings. Read pp. 122-125. Do #1-3, p. 125.
Comparative Civilizations 12
The next test, on the Middle Ages material, is about a week away, as we will first complete the following packages: Islamic Civilization, The Frozen World, The Great Thaw, and Romance and Reality.
The Romance & Reality package will be due on test day -- probably Monday. Expect the test to include the following: Image identification 10 items (20 marks for what? and where? - city for full mark or country for 1/2), Floorplan and interior elevation of a cathedral - 10 items (1 mark each), 40 multiple choice (1 mark each), 2 long answer - interpreting illustrations (6 marks each) and one essay from a choice of 7 topics (18 marks - 6 for composition and 12 for content). The total is, therefore, out of 100 marks. Pleae Note: The first two sections of the test are closed notebook. You may consult your notes for the remainder of the test.
- Tuesday, November 13 - Gothic Painting PowerPoint. Sister Wendy video segment. Work on Romance & Reality package. If you have the time and inclination, do watch Bill Moyer's interview of Sister Wendy -a humble genius of art analysis.
- Wednesday, November 14 - Begin with video introduction. Giotto. Sister Wendy video segment. Work on package. Click here for the Webmuseum description of Giotto.
- Thursday, November 15 - Gothic Sculpture PowerPoint.Work on package.
- Friday, November 16 - Video: The Western Tradition; The Late Middle Ages Romance & Reality package due Monday – along with Exam. Work on package.
We are running a little behind the originally published plan for topic #4 already, but should make up some of this as lecture material runs into blocks where we also show videos in the Road to War series. Keep working on the questions for topic #4 -- avoid procrastinating unless you enjoy multiple all-night sessions at the end of the unit.
The next test is quite a long way off, but expect it around November 26. Expect roughly the following material on the Topic #4 Test: 70 multiple choice questions (1 mark each), 5 map items (1 mark each), and 2 from 4 Long Answer questions (12 marks each - based on 2 x 6). The total value will therefore be around 99 marks.
Remember, Essay #2 is due by the end of this week!
- Tuesday, November 13 - World War II chronology (base notes).
- Wednesday, November 14 - World War II chronology (base notes).
- Thursday, November 15 - Grade 12 Assembly scheduled for this block. If there is any time at the end, we will continue the World War II chronology (base notes).
- Friday, November 16 - Completion of the World War II chronology (base notes). For a very brief summary of World War II, read The History Guide; Lecture 11; Hitler and World War II.