For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at:
e-mail me at http://email@example.com/
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, powerpoint, music or a video.
Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There really is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does.
If you can't read the PowerPoint material on your computer, download PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft. It is free.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode posted in the classroom to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
Social Studies 11
There is a major research assignment currently underway, the Family History - Immigration Assignment (With additional options for International and First Nations students.) The due date for this work is not until right after the Christmas holidays, to allow plenty of time for research and discussion with family members.)
Expect the next unit test when we finish the interwar years and World War II -- this week. I expect it will include roughly the following (subject to revision): 40-45 multiple choice questions (1 mark each), 5 definition questions (2 marks each) and 4 out of 6 long answer questions (6 marks each) -- for a grand total of roughly 74-79 marks.
- Monday, November 19 - Take up #1-3, p. 125. Complete video series & questions (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3). If time, begin The Valour & the Horror; Savage Christmas (note there is a website that accompanies this video - very useful) and viewing guide. Note assignment. Read pp. 125-128. Do sidebar question p. 128 & 1-4, p. 128.
- Tuesday, November 20 - Take up homework. Continue Savage Christmas & questions. Read the sidebar on pp. 126-127 & handouts. Do #1-2, p. 127. Complete the assignment (bottom of questions sheet )from Savage Christmas for FThursday.
- Wednesday, November 21 - Take up the homework. Complete Savage Christmas. Discuss Japanese Internment – compare to Japanese treatment of Allied prisoners. Complete Savage Christmas assignment - to submit next class. Test on chapters 3-5 Friday.
- Thursday, November 22 - Hand in Savage Christmas assignment. Lesson on The Holocaust/Shoah. Video on the Holocaust (Frontline; Memory of the Camps – Chapter 4. Available online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/camp/view/ .) Assignment: Holocaust deniers claim that this genocide never happened. In a short composition, after doing additional research, explain what evidence exists to prove that the Holocaust is a historical fact. 10 marks. Due Monday.
- Friday, November 23 - Unit Test on Chapters 3-5. Read pp. 130-135. Do sidebar questions p. 133 & 134 & #1-4, p. 135.
Comparative Civilizations 12
The Unit Test on the Middle Ages material, is Monday of this week, as we have completed the following packages: Islamic Civilization, The Frozen World, The Great Thaw, and Romance and Reality.
The Romance & Reality package is due by4:30 p.m. on Monday. Expect the test to include the following: Image identification 10 items (20 marks for what? and where? - city for full mark or country for 1/2), Floorplan and interior elevation of a cathedral - 10 items (1 mark each), 40 multiple choice (1 mark each), 2 long answer - interpreting illustrations (6 marks each) and one essay from a choice of 7 topics (18 marks - 6 for composition and 12 for content). The total is, therefore, out of 100 marks. Pleae Note: The first two sections of the test are closed notebook. You may consult your notes for the remainder of the test.
The Man, the Measure of All Things package will likely be due on Wednesday, December 5.
- Monday, November 19 - Medieval Unit Test. Pick up new package - Man, the Measure of All Things. Romance & Reality package due by 4:30 p.m. today.
- Tuesday, November 20 - Sorry, Man, the Measure of all Things filmstrip is unavailable We will see the original video, that the filmstrip is a summary of - available online at Guba.com - requires registration. If it will not play at school, then we will watch Bill Moyers' video on Renaissance Florence - a terrific overview.
- Wednesday, November 21 - Complete the Bill Moyers video if time needed. Brunelleschi PowerPoint. Work on package.
- Thursday, November 22 - Ghiberti & Donatello - presentations & note-taking. Work on the package.
- Friday, November 23 - Massachio PowerPoint & Boticelli PowerPoint presentations. Work on the package. If you have 50 minutes to spare, watch The Private Life of a Masterpiece - La Primavera on a Guba stream.
We are pretty well on schedule according to the plan for topic #4. Keep working on the questions for topic #4 -- avoid procrastinating unless you enjoy multiple all-night sessions at the end of the unit.
The next test is next Monday, November 26. Expect roughly the following material on the Topic #4 Test: 70 multiple choice questions (1 mark each), 5 map items (1 mark each), and 2 from 4 Long Answer questions (12 marks each - based on 2 x 6). The total value will therefore be around 99 marks.
- Monday, November 19 - Video clip Pearl Harbour to Hiroshima. War Chronology (base notes). Pick up Essay #3 Assignment sheet.
- Tuesday, November 20 - Complete war chronology (base notes), if necessary. Total War; the British Experience (base notes).
- Wednesday, November 21 - Complete Total War; The British Experience (base notes), if necessary. Shoah/the Holocaust (base notes).
- Thursday, November 22 - AV - The World at War; the Holocaust.
- Friday, November 23 - The Wartime Conferences (base notes). The Unit test for this section will be on Monday, November 26.