Nostaligic for old Sutherland?
See the Socials classes being demolished in a video at the bottom of this blog entry.
For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at:http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/
e-mail me at http://email@example.com/
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, powerpoint, music or a video.Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There really is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does.
If you can't read the PowerPoint material on your computer, download PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft. It is free.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Education's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode posted in the classroom to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
I do not read comments posted by readers on this blog -- not through lack of interest, just lack of time. Sorry.
Social Studies 11 (Regular)
Expect a unit test on post-war Canada on Friday. Time is rapidly running out in the semeseter and we have another section of the course to complete. I want to begin this Friday.
- Tuesday, May 20- Take up #2 & 3, p. 182, #1-4, p. 187, and #1-3, 4 and 5 on p. 194. Watch Canada; A People's History "October, 1970," "The Choice" and "The Night of the Long Knives" and do the questions. PowerPoint The Quiet and Not So Quiet Revolution. Read pp. 194-204. Do #1-5 & 7, p. 200 and #1-5, p. 204 also figure 8-4, p. 195 & 8-7, p. 198.
- Wednesday, May 21 - Take up homework. PowerPoint Aboriginal Canadians and focus questions. Read pp. 204-216. Do #`-5, p. 206 and 1-6, p. 216. Also answer the question in figure 8-17 on p. 211. Interested in Native affairs? Be sure to look at the material at the CBC Archives.
- Thursday, May 22 - Take up homework. PowerPoint (if not completed Wednesday) Aboriginal Canadians. Canada; A Peoples' History episodes. "Taking Back the Past" and "Land and Nation," with questions. Prepare for the Post War Canada unit test next class. If you have time, you might watch the following: Dancing Around the Table; Part 1. National Film Board Documentary on Aboriginal Land Claims.
- Friday, May 23 - Unit Test - Post War Canada. Sign out Geography text book. Read pp. 7-16. Do #1-5, p. 11 & 1-9, p. 16.
Please note: You can access the Geography text 21st Century World online at http://www.design4effect.com/soc11/ . Note, however, that there are many dead links as this was published in September, 2000.
Social Studies 11 (Honours)
The next unit test will be in a little over a week -- covering the material between the wars and World War II.
- Tuesday, May 20 - Take up #1-5, p. 103 & sidebar #1-2, . 100. Watch Canada; A Peoples' History "Dear Mr. Prime Minister," "The End of the Line" and "A Clean Sweep." Read the chapter summary on p. 104 and do “In Review” questions on p. 104 and “Applying Your Knowledge” on p. 105.
- Wednesday, May 21 - Take up homework. Begin King & Country video with questions. Read pp. 106-111. Do #1-4, p. 112. Find out about Nazi Germany by watching the BBC's The World at War; A New Germany (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.) This is one of the best documentaries describing and showing Nazi Germany. For background on Mussolini, see Discovery Education's Mussolini, on YouTube. Find out about Japan between 1933-1945 by watching Japan; In Colour (Part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5). For a 1941 German perspective on the origins of World War II, see Sieg im Westen - With English dubbing (Part 1, part 2. Further parts deal with the start of World War II). This is excellent material. Also see my Google video and Youtube directory of videos on Nazi Germany.
- Thursday, May 22 - Take up homework Complete King & Country. Introduction to World War II. WWII series ("Turning the Tide") & questions. Read pp. 112-116. Do #1-5, p. 116. Watch this British anti-war advertisement from the 1930s to understand the roots of appeasement. In contrast, listen to this warning from Winston Churchill at the same time. Watch the 20 minute 30's documentary: The European Arms Race 1935 - 1939 part 1 and part 2. To see Nazi Germany, watch this largely unnarrated documentary, Nazi Germany Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8 & Part 9. How Were Decisions Made in Nazi Germany. Look at Hitler's art: Part 1, Part 2.
- Friday, May 23 - Take up homework. Finish material on "Turning the Tide" & questions. Begin "The Liberators; D-Day to the Rhine" & questions. Read pp. 116-121. Do #1-3, p. 121. If you have an interest in World War II, check out the contents of my directory of World War II documentaries uploaded to Google video and Youtube - all 19 pages.