For those of you new to my blogsite, it is intended to work alongside my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/
e-mail me at http://email@example.com/
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- will be posted on the website. This blogsite will have the changing material -- lesson plans and links to particular assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are made available on the Internet in this way. If something is underlined on the blog, it means that you can click on it to see a copy of the particular item -- this could be a pdf document, PowerPoint, music or a video.
Use this blog to see what is coming up each week. I will usually post it on Saturdays for the following week. If you are away, you can check up on what you are missing. There is no reason for you not to know what is happening. If you do not have an Internet connection, you certainly know someone who does. If too ill to work while away, be sure to attach a note from home to any overdue work when you hand it in and I will most likely waive any late deduction.
If you can't read the PowerPoint material on your computer, download PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft. It is free.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Education's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://streaming.discoveryeducation.com/index.cfm . Use the passcode posted in the classroom and given to you on your course outline to register. If you have lost it, see me, or e-mail me, for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
My tutorial times are officially 2:55-3:15 every Monday and Friday. However, I am available most days before school, at noon and after school. Drop by or make an appointment if you need guaranteed time.
Social Studies 11 (Honours)
There is an ongoing assignment. This is the Family History Assignment (See also the International Students' Version and First Nations Students' Version ) - which will not be due until mid May. (See also the BBC's pedigree sheet - a rough form to serve as a starting point for your own pedigree).
- Monday, April 6 - Take up #1-3, p. 51. Introduction to Post-War Canada. The Winnipeg General Strike. Lecture and video, On Strike! (Sorry, unavailable online) - with questions. If time we may also watch Canada; A People's History; The Winnipeg General strike. (Sorry, unavailable online). Read pp. 53-56. Do #1-3, p. 56. Find out more about the Winnipeg General Strike through an online visit to Canada's Museum of Civilization. Look through its online pages and activities on the subject.
- Tuesday, April 7 - Take up homework. Filmstrip & questions: The Ecstatic 20’s. If time, begin PowerPoint - Canada Between the Wars; 1919-1939. Read pp. 57-67. Do sidebar questions, p. 57 & 59, #1-3, p. 61, #1-3, p. 65, & sidebar #1-2, p. 67.
- Wednesday, April 8 - Take up homework. Background to the Great Depression (including statistics) - Continue PowerPoint - Canada Between the Wars; 1919-1939. AV on the Depression - (From: Canada; A People’s History). Read pp. 68-79. Do sidebar questions p. 71 & 72 & #1-4, p. 72, sidebar questions p. 76, 78 & 79 & #1-2, p. 79. If you have time, read the Vancouver Sun article by Roger Bootle on the economic theory of John Maynard Keynes. Want to find out more about economics? Consider looking at Discovery Education's Macroeconomic Concepts (You will need to login to the site -- see the header to this blog about this.) This is information everyone should be familiar with.
- Thursday, April 9 - Take up sidebar questions p. 71 & 72 & #1-4, p. 72, sidebar questions p. 76, 78 & 79 & #1-2, p. 79. Watch Canada; A People’s History; Hard Times and do the viewing guide questions. If time we will continue with the PowerPoint on the interwar years. Read pp. 79-86. Do sidebar #1-4, p. 81, sidebar questions p. 82 & #3-4, p. 85 & #1-3, p. 86. If you have time, watch Discovery Education's The Great Depression (login required). While this is really about the US, it is not possible to understand the Canadian situation without referring to what happened in our neighbour to the South.
- Friday, April 10 - Good Friday Holiday. Enjoy the time off, but don't forget about the ongoing Family History Assignment. At least gather some information as you see family.
We are just starting Topic #4, so your next unit test is a long way off. Topic #4 plan and Topic #4 questions are available. Do not procrastinate on the questions to this and further units. Completing them all at last minute will not produce your best results. Don't forget, graduation activities become increasing distractions as the year comes to a close!
Good online video material to supplement our studies can be found at Benoy's Directory of Googlevideo & Youtube videos of or about Nazi Germany, Benoy's Directory of Googlevideo & Youtube Songs of and about the Spanish Civil War. Benoy's Directory of Googlevideo & Youtube World War II Documentaries and Frontline's Memories of the Camps video.- Outstanding footage of liberated SS concentration camps. Don't forget to look at the resources available on my Topic #4 webpage.
- Monday, April 6 - Complete Hitler & the Rise of the Nazis (base notes). Begin Hitler's Germany (base notes), and AV - probably from the 20th Century History series.
- Tuesday, April 7 - Complete Hitler's Germany (base notes). If time, supplementary AV material.
- Wednesday, April 8 - Appeasement (base notes) - this time also on PowerPoint.
- Thursday, April 9 - Complete the Appeasement lecture (base notes) if need be. The Spanish Civil War (base notes). Be sure to listen to some of the music of the Spanish Civil War - written at the time and inspired later.
- Friday, April 10 - Good Friday Holiday. Be sure to use some time this weekend to work ahead. Buy yourself some relaxation time at the end of the unit.
Comparative Civilizations 12
Don't worry about the next unit test yet; it is still a few weeks off as we have two new units to complete first. The Great Thaw package is due on the Tuesday after the Easter Weekend.
- Monday, April 6 - The Western Tradition; Episode 20; The Feudal Order video. Work on the Great Thaw package.
- Tuesday, April 7 - Video – Art of the Western World; A White Garment of Churches. Work on Great Thaw package.
- Wednesday, April 8 - Romanesque to Gothic Architecture. PowerPoint. (Slides & Demonstration next class). Work on Great Thaw package.
- Thursday, April 10 - The Human Cathedral - an analysis of Romaneque & Gothic engineering. Gothic Architecture Slides. Work on Package.
- Friday, April 11 - Good Friday Holiday. Use some of the time on the weekend to catch up.