Contact me by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
So you just want to see photos of Sutherland activities? Click here to see my Picasa Albums. You can also see my photos from the Paul McCartney concert here.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/.
- Monday, December 10 - Hero as Artist package distributed. Watch the Clark video for this chapter.
- Tuesday, December 11 - Begin the video: The Agony and the Ecstacy (sorry, not available on Youtube). Work on the package.
- Wednesday, December 12 - Continue The Agony and the Ecstacy. Work on the package.
- Thursday, December 13 - Introduction to High Renaissance Painting (notes). Michelangelo (notes) - painting,sculpture and architecture. Work on the Hero as Artist package. For a little levity, watch Monty Python's Pope & Michelangelo.
- Friday, December 14 - Da Vinci PowerPoint. Work on the package. If you are interested in Dan Brown's books -- and the da Vinci Code in particular, you might enjoy Professor Ward Gasque's University of California lecture The da Vinci Code - Fact or Fiction.
Topic #5 and 6 questions
Episode 1 - Comrades; 1917-1945.
- Monday, December 10 - The Cuban Missile Crisis (base notes). If we complete this in class, we will watch as much as possible of the Cold War series segment: Episode 12 Mutually Assured Destruction; MAD 1960-1972. If you have almost two hours available, get in the mood for Monday's lecture on nuclear war by viewing Threads, a British docudrama from the 1980s about a nuclear war -- banned from British TV at the time, it is a highly praised production that gives a frightening, but important view of what such a war might be like. For a straight-forward documentary 0n what would happen to a city hit by a nuclear bomb, watch Nuclear War; A Guide to Armageddon - this links to the first episode, go to the sidebar to link to the other segments. . You might also look at Defcon 2 - Cuban Missile Crisis (Part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6).
- Tuesday, December 11 - Watch Robert McNamara's comments on nuclear war. Deterrence & Nuclear War (base notes) PowerPoint.
- Wednesday, December 12 - Complete material on Deterrence & Nuclear War. PowerPoint. Watch CNN's Cold War; M.A.D . At home, watch the next video in the Cold War series dealing with nuclear weapons: The Cold War; Star Wars 1980-1988.
- Thursday, December 13 - Begin British & French Decolonization in Africa & Asia (base notes).
- Friday, December 14 - Watch the first part of a video on Kwame Nkrumah -- which gives a 4 minute background to African decolonization. Continue British & French Decolonization in Africa & Asia (base notes). Following up on the Nuclear War and Deterrence material -- You absolutely must see the CNN Cold War series film Star Wars.
- Monday, December 10 - Take up #1,2, 4 & 5, p. 194. Complete any of the video material not covered on last week. PowerPoint The Quiet and Not-So-Quiet Revolution.Read pp. 194-200 and do #1,3, 4 & 5, p. 197 and 1, 2 & 4, p. 200.
- Tuesday, December 11 - Take up #1,3, 4 & 5, p. 197 and 1, 2 & 4, p. 200. Watch the following segments of Canada; A People's History: "October Crisis", the "Choice," - questions and "Night of the Long Knives" - questions. Finish PowerPoint - The Quiet and Not-So-Quiet Revolution. Be sure to see anything we are unable to complete in class. Assignment: 10 marks, due Wednesday. Why do many Quebecers want an independent Quebec? Why has this not come about?
- Wednesday, December 12 - Hand in Quebec separatism assignment. Take up homework. Begin PowerPoint: Land Claims and the Indian Act. Read pp. 201-207. Do #1-5, p. 204 and #1-5, p. 206.
- Thursday, December 13 - Take up homework. Watch video segments from Canada; A People's History - the following episodes: Taking Back the Past and Land And Nations. Complete these questions while doing so. PowerPoint: Land Claims and the Indian Act. Assignment: 10 marks. Create a time line of events relating to Canada from 1945 to 2000. Due Monday.
- Friday, December 14 - Complete the PowerPoint and any other material not finished. If there is significant time left over, we will look at some more episodes from Canada; a People's History. Work on the time line assignment.