Contact me by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This blog provides lesson plans for each week. Look ahead to see where we are going. Look back to see what you might have missed. All assignments are provided here. If anything is underlined, click on it to bring up the document or, in the case of videos, link to an online version of what was scheduled for seeing in class or as enrichment.
So you just want to see photos of Sutherland activities? Click here to see my Picasa Albums.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/. Admittedly, I do not update this site regularly, so there may be dead links.
I take a few photos around the school, if you are interested, click here to see my Public Picassa photo albums.
Grad Boat Cruise photos are now posted.
Recent albums include the Centennnial Theater and Sutherland concerts of the Asahikawa High School Wind Orchestra, the Senior Girls' soccer games vs Howe Sound, Carson, Windsor and Seycove - also the playoff games against St. Thomas More and Windsor. The Junior Girls vs Windsor, Handsworth, & the playoff game vs Sentinel, the Junior Boys' rugby game vs Seycove, and the May 9 Ultimate Tournament. Finally, there are also pictures from Gwynne Dyer's talk to Senior Students.
***Strike Advisory: Next Thursday, May 29 has been set for North Vancouver's one day strike -- part of the ongoing labour dispute involving revolving strikes throughout the province. There will be no classes that day unless a settlement occurs. Teachers are trying to minimize the strike's impact on students. In the months that we have struck so far there has been little to no impact; as the dispute ramps up the impact will be greater, but I am hopeful that things are sorted before the impact becomes appreciable.
Social Studies 8
We are working on the longest unit of the year -- The Middle Ages in Europe. This will involve studying all of chapters 3, 4 and 5 before we write out next test. This test will be on Wednesday, May 21. Expect 49 multiple choice questions (1 mark each) and 4 from a choice of 7 long answer questions (6 marks each). The test total is out of 73 marks. 30 flash cards may earn up to 5 bonus marks.
- Monday, May 19 - Holiday. No Classes -- so study for the unit test on Wednesday.
- Tuesday, May 20 - Take up homework. Introduction to the Italian Renaissance. Watch: The Medici -- Godfathers of the Renaissance; Birth of a Dynasty. 1. How did the Medici come to dominate Florence? 2. How did they help bring about a flowering of interest in ancient learning and modern art and architecture? 3. What was the relationship between artists and patrons in Florence during the renaissance? 4. How did Brunelleschi change Western art? 5) How did Cosimo bring knowledge from the outside world to Florence? Read pp. 134-138. Do #1-7, p. 138.
- Wednesday, May 21 - Unit Test on the entire Middle Ages in the West -- all of chapters 3, 4 and 5.
- Thursday, May 22 - Test post-mortem. Take up #1-7, p. 138. Complete the video from Tuesday (last 15 minutes). Take up homework. Watch this video clip from James Burke's The Day the Universe Changed; Point of View (From 15:29- 29:56. Questions: How did Brunelleschi and Alberti change the art of painting? Watch Sister Wendy 0n Renaissance artists. 1) Name at least one major work by each artist she deals with. 2) Explain why each artist is considered great. Read pp. 139-143. do #1-5, p. 143.
- Friday, May 23 - Take up p. 143 homework. This is as far as we got -- just looking at question 1 and going over the importance of all of these figures. We still have more to cover, but I think it well-worth the time. The other material scheduled for today will now move to next Monday -- including the assigned homework. Use the time to start thinking about the final exam. Be sure to collect all of your flash cards from the year and throw out all the cards you know. Study those you are fuzzy about and those you don't know. There is no sense studying what you already know. Learn the material you don't understand.
- Monday, May 19 - Holiday. No classes today. Why not start unit test and final exam review now?
- Tuesday, May 20 - Take up #2-4, p. 158, #2-6, p. 167, & #1-5, p. 172. Complete the PowerPoint material. Review for the test next week.
- Wednesday, May 21 - New PowerPoint, The Quiet and Not-So-Quiet Revolution. Watch"Vive le Quebec Libre," "October Crisis", the "Choice" - questions. Read pp. 191- 194. Do #1,2, 4 & 5, p. 194.
- Thursday, May 22 - Take up #1,2, 4 & 5, p. 194. PowerPoint The Quiet and Not-So-Quiet Revolution. If we get a chance to start it, we will begin the PowerPoint: "Land Claims and the Indian Act." Read pp. 201-207. Do #1-5, p. 204 and 1-5, p. 206. Assignment: 10 marks, due Monday. Why do many Quebecers want an independent Quebec? Why has this not come about?
- Friday, May 23 - Take up homework. Continue or begin PowerPoint - "Land Claims and the Indian Act." Read pp. 208-216. Do the sidebar on p. 211 & #1-2, p. 213 and #2-6, p. 216.