Welcome one and all to our shiny new semester. Use this blogsite to see what work we will be doing and note homework assignments. I will give advance warning about tests here and inform you of their mark breakdwon. The assignments themselves will be posted on my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com . Note: Some but not all of the handout materials will also be made available over the Internet from this site. Also use the website to link to resources and read course and school information -- like course objectives, image galleries, and other information pertaining to my classes, or clubs and groups that I am affiliated with.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to www.unitedstreaming.com . Use the passcode provided on your course outline to register. If you have lost it, see me for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
I would also like to welcome my student teacher, Miss Hartigan, who will work first with my Social Studies 8 class, and then with my regular Social Studies 11. I am delighted to be working with this intelligent, hard-working and charming young teacher. She will also be posting information on her own blog and website. These can be found at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ for the blog and http://christinahartigan.googlepages.com/ for the website.
Social Studies 8
Go to Miss Hartigan's blogsite for lesson plans at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ .
Social Studies 11 (Regular)
There is a quiz on chapter 1 material - ideologies - on Monday. This will consist of 10 multiple choice questions (1 mark each), 2 definitions (2 marks each), 1 diagram (5 marks) and 1 long answer question (6 marks) -- for a total of 25 marks. 3 bonus marks may be had for the completion of at least 15 flashcards (term or name on one side and definition or why the person is important on the other),
- Monday, February 12 - Ideologies Quiz. Read pp. 97-100 and do #1-6, p. 100. Also read the Federal Parties Update handout and do the questions at the end of it. When all have finished writing the test we will begin the transition from Ideologies to Political Parties.
- Tuesday, February 13 - Take up homework. Placing parties on the political spectrum. PowerPoint on Parties (in Ideologies and Parties). Read pp. 109-115. Do #1-5, p. 115. & Read BC Parties Update and do its questions.
- Wednesday, February 14 - Take up homework. The structure of Canadian parties. Read Electoral Systems Handout & Assignment (leave the assignment for now). Read pp. 119-123. Do #1, 3 & 4, p. 122 sidebar and #1, 2 & 4, p. 123.
- Thursday, February 15 - Take up homework. Day 1 of elections lesson – First By the Post and Proportional Representation electoral systems. Reread the handout. Read pp. 88-97. do #11 & 3, p. 96 sidebar and #1-10, p. 97.
- Friday, February 16 - Day 2 of the elections lesson – Varied voting systems. Do the assignment at the end of the handout. Quiz on parties and elections next class. Note: We did not complete the mock voting counts - this will be taken up on Monday and we will proceed into the next section of the unit. The quiz on parties & elections will now be given on Tuesday (See next week's posting for the mark breakdown), and the assignment from the handout sheet will be due on Wednesday, once we have finished the voting system analysis.
Social Studies 11 Honours
There is a quiz scheduled for Monday's class on the first chapter of the Geography material. The mark breakdown is as follows: 15 multiple choice questions (1 each), 5 definitions (2 each) and 2 of 3 long answer questions (6 each), for a total of 37 marks. (Note: 1 question was not adequately covered in class, so this item will be a further bonus - exam total is now 36). 3 bonus marks can be had for the completion of at least 10 flash cards (term or name on one side and definition or why the person was important on the other).
- Monday, February 12 - Essay Writing Workshop Handout. Research techniques, including Citing Sources & bibliographies(Part 4). Ch. 1 Test. Read pp. 29-31. Do both #1-3 on p. 31.
- Tuesday, February 13 - Hand in outlines (from Part 3 of the Essay Writing Workshop) Take up homework. PowerPoint - Population and Demographics. (Introduction to demography and population growth. Population pyramids. Using the data on p. 46, construct population pyramids for these countries. Read pp. 31-37. Do #1, p. 32, 1-2 p. 37 – but use 2001 Census data, not 1996. Go to http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idbpyr.html & handout assignment on population pyramids.
- Wednesday, February 14 - Take up homework. PowerPoint - continued. Population theories – Malthus, Catton, Boserup & Demographic transition model. Read pp. 37-41. Do #1-6, p. 39 & #1-6, pp. 41-42.
- Thursday, February 15 - Essay Writing Workshop (Part 5). Work on Essay (you will receive 1 block of time for this now and 1 around 1-2 weeks before the essay is due at the end of Spring Break).
- Friday, February 16 - Take up homework from Wednesday.. Continue PowerPoint. Video: Population Transition in Italy (access at www.learner.org) . Read pp. 42-45. Do #1-5, p. 45