Check out the new Sutherland emerging behind our ruin!
It won't be long until we move into new digs.
I am making use of more links below. If you see anything underlined, you can link to it.
Use this blogsite to see what work we will be doing and note homework assignments. I will give advance warning about tests here and inform you of their mark breakdwon. The assignments themselves will be posted on my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/ . Note: Some but not all of the handout materials will also be made available over the Internet from this site. Also use the website to link to resources and read course and school information -- like course objectives, image galleries, and other information pertaining to my classes, or clubs and groups that I am affiliated with.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode provided on your course outline to register. If you have lost it, see me for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
I have a student teacher this semester, Miss Hartigan, who is currently working with my grade 8s and will also working with my regular 11 block. She will also be posting information on her own blog and website. These can be found at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ for the blog and http://christinahartigan.googlepages.com/ for the website.
Social Studies 8
Go to Miss Hartigan's blogsite for lesson plans at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ .
Social Studies 11 Honours
The next test will be a large unit test on both chapter 2 and chapter 3 material. Expect the following breakdown for marks: 65 multiple choice items (1 mark each) and a choice of 3 from 10 long answer questions(6 marks each). Bonus marks for flash cards (term or name on one side; definition or why the person is important on the other) will be valued at 5 marks. It is therefore possible to score up to 88/83 on the test.
The essay coming out of the Essay Writing Workshop material is formally assigned. This will be due in about a month (the exact date will be set with two weeks to go -- hopefully we can avoid tests and other big due dates in other classes).
- Monday, February 19 - Essay Assignment distributed. Take up #1-5, p. 45. Stewart Brand’s City Planet address to Google & Questions. Do the Scattergram assignment on Fertility and Education (See Geography text - available online), #1-3, p. 48.
- Tuesday, February 20 - Take up homework. Video: “Escaping From History” (sorry, not available online) on Mexico City & questions. Read pp. 54-56. Do #1-4, pp. 55-56 & #1-4, p. 56.
- Wednesday, February 21 - Take up homework. PowerPoint on ch. 3 (This may take 1-2 minutes to unload). Read pp. 57-61, Do #1-8, p. 61.
- Thursday, February 22 - Take up homework. Continue PowerPoint. Read pp. 61-70. Do #1-5, p. 64 & 1-3, p. 70.
- Friday, February 23 - Professional Day. Take the time to work on your essay.
Social Studies 11 - Regular
There will be a quiz on Parties and Elections on tuesday. The mark breakdown is as follows: 15 multiple choice (1 mark each), 4 matching (1 mark each), 5 definitions (2 marks each), and one of three long answer questions (6 marks). Bonus marks for flash cards (term or name only on one side; definition or why the person is important on the other) are valued at 3 marks, so the test total is a possible 38/35.
Mia Culpa! I blew it -- Tuesday cannot be test day as we have an assembly for most of the block -- and, of course, Friday is a Professional Day. Blame it on the forgetfulness of old age. Everything will now move forward -- as noted below:
- Monday, February 19 - Complete ballot counting from Friday – Condorcet voting (from elections handout) & BCSTV animation. Assignment from Elections handout. Begin Legislative Branch – look at House of Commons. Filmstrip & Note-taking. Read pp. 18-26. Do #1-5, p. 26.
- Tuesday, February 19 - To class for attendance and then attend grade 10-11 assembly.
- Wednesday, February 20 - Quiz on Parties & Elections. Handout – “The Work of MPs” Read pp. 35-36. Do #1-4, p. 36.
- Thursday February 21 - Filmstrip or video & questions or note-taking on Parliament. Take up homework. The Senate – Pros and cons of present setup. Read pp. 36-44. Do #1, 3 and #4 in the sidebar on p. 43. Do #1 & 3, p. 44.