Welcome one and all to our shiny new semester. Use this blogsite to see what work we will be doing and note homework assignments. I will give advance warning about tests here and inform you of their mark breakdwon.
The assignments themselves will be posted on my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com . Note: Some but not all of the handout materials will also be made available over the Internet from this site. Also use the website to link to resources and read course and school information -- like course objectives, image galleries, and other information pertaining to my classes, or clubs and groups that I am affiliated with.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to www.unitedstreaming.com . Use the passcode provided on your course outline to register. If you have lost it, see me for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
I would also like to welcome my student teacher, Miss Hartigan, who will work first with my Social Studies 8 class, and then with my regular Social Studies 11. I am delighted to be working with this intelligent, hard-working and charming young teacher. She will also be posting information on her own blog and website. These can be found at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ for the blog and http://christinahartigan.googlepages.com/ for the website.
Social Studies 8
Miss Hartigan and I will address Monday's class together, then she will teach the class (along with one of Mr. Wiens' Social Studies 8 classes). Therefore, only Monday's class is given below. After Monday, link to Miss Hartigan's blogsite for lesson plans.
- February 5 - Introduction. Course Expectations. Course Outline. Text book assigned. Questionnaire.
- February 6-9 - See Miss Hartigan's blogsite at http://chartigan.blogspot.com .
Social Studies 11 (Regular)
- February 5 - Introduction. Course Expectations. Course Outline. Questionnaire (note: 5 bonus marks are available for completing this).
- February 6 - Final Exam - Table of Specifications. Handout: What is Government? (Click on the name to see the assignment.)Identify the 3 branches of government. Text book sign out.Read pp. 2-6. Do #1-4, p. 6.
- February 7 - Take up homework. Introduction to ideologies. Origins of modern ideologies and introduction to the political spectrum. Read pp. 7-15. Do #1-5, p. 11 and #1-6, pp. 15-16.
- February 8 - Take up homework. Historical evolution of ideologies. Video Clip Government in Canada; Ideologies - identify the key characteristics of each ideology given in your notes while watching this presentation. Handout: Smith & Marx.
- February 9 - PowerPoint Ideologies and Political Parties. Additional views of the political spectrum - including non-linear interpretations. Prepare for a quiz on chapter 1 material on Monday.
Social Studies 11 (Honours)
- February 5 - Introduction. Expectations. Course Outline. Questionnaire. Text assigned. Essay Writing Workshop handout. Pre-read parts 1 & 2.
- February 6 - Final Exam - Table of Specifications. Essay workshop material -- Parts 1 & 2. Begin PowerPoint for chapter 1. Do Essay Workshop Part 2 assignment.
- February 7 - Text sign out. Essay workshop material taken up, Part 3 addressed. Homework taken up. Continue PowerPoint. If time (there wasn't), we will begin watching Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. (Note: The first segment of this video is currintly available on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9kIfCX7BNw . The rest appears to be unavailable at this time. Read pp.7-16. Do #1-5, p. 11#1-9, p. 16 and #1-4, p. 17.
- February 8 - . Take up homework. Continue An Inconvenient Truth. Read pp. 17-22. Do #1-2, p. 17. #1-4, p. 21. (Have the assignment for Essay Workshop Part 3 completed for Tuesday.
- February 9 - . Finish An Inconvenient Truth. Geography essay assigned. This will involve library and Internet research. Read p. 22 and do the "Further Though questions, #1-2, on p. 22. Prepare for the Chapter 1 Quiz on Monday. Have the Part 3 assignment from the Essay Writing W0rkshop prepared for next Tuesday.