Use this blogsite to see what work we will be doing and note homework assignments. I will give advance warning about tests here and inform you of their mark breakdwon. The assignments themselves will be posted on my website at: http://kbenoy.googlepages.com/ . Note: Some but not all of the handout materials will also be made available over the Internet from this site. Also use the website to link to resources and read course and school information -- like course objectives, image galleries, and other information pertaining to my classes, or clubs and groups that I am affiliated with.
Sutherland has a license to access Discovery Channel's United Streaming video collection. Students may download or stream videos from the collection by going to http://www.unitedstreaming.com/ . Use the passcode provided on your course outline to register. If you have lost it, see me for this information. Students are licensed to include this content within their own creations.
I have a student teacher this semester, Miss Hartigan, who is currently working with my grade 8s and will also working with my regular 11 block. She will also be posting information on her own blog and website. These can be found at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ for the blog and http://christinahartigan.googlepages.com/ for the website.
Social Studies 8
Go to Miss Hartigan's blogsite for lesson plans at http://chartigan.blogspot.com/ .
Social Studies 11 Honours
The next test will be a large unit test, this Wednesday, on both chapter 2 and chapter 3 material. Expect the following breakdown for marks: 65 multiple choice items (1 mark each) and a choice of 3 from 10 long answer questions(6 marks each). Bonus marks for flash cards (term or name on one side; definition or why the person is important on the other) will be valued at 5 marks. It is therefore possible to score up to 88/83 on the test.
The essay coming out of the Essay Writing Workshop material is formally assigned. This will be due in about a month (the exact date will be set with two weeks to go -- hopefully we can avoid tests and other big due dates in other classes).
- Monday, February 26 - Take up #1-5, p. 64 & #1-3, p. 70. Video: Bomb Under the World & questions. Read pp. 70-73. Do #1-8, p. 73.
- Tuesday, February 27 - We had to move to Plan B for today's class. Computers were unavailable in this block, so the Child Labour Computer Lab class is cancelled. We will begin chapter 4 PowerPoint instead. Sorry folks! No homework is assigned. Prepare for the chapters 2 & 3 unit test next class.
- Wednesday, February 28 - Unit Test on chapters 2 & 3. Read pp. 83-86. Do #1-3, p. 84 , #1-4, p. 85 & #1-2, p. 86.
- Thursday, March 1 - Take up homework. Begin chapter 4 PowerPoint. Read pp. 86-91. Do #1-3, p. 87, #1-4, p. 89 & #1-5, p. 91.
- Friday, March 2 - Take up homework. Video: History’s Harvest (Go to www.unitedstreaming.com for this) and questions. Read pp. 91-97. Do #1-5, p. 93 & #1-6, p. 97 - note #3 should say 1973, not 1997.
Social Studies 11 - Regular
The next test will be next week and will be a long one -- testing the Legislative, Executive and Judicial branches -- I expect it will be on Wednesday, March 7, but this may change. The text breakdown will probably be 35 multiple choice (1 each), 5 definitions (2 each) and four from five long answer questions (6 each). The total is therefore likely to be out of 69 marks. At least 25 flash cards are needed to generate 5 bonus marks.
- Monday, February 26 - Take up #homework Filmstrip & note-taking or video & questions on Parliament. Review Senate pros & cons. Writing essays. Prepare to write an in-class essay on what should be done with the Senate next class. Handout: How a bill becomes a law. See handouts & web links.
- Tuesday, February 27 - In class essay – What should be done with the Senate? Maintain it as is, reform it, or abolish it? Read pp. 46-54. Do #1-5, p. 48 & #1-7, p. 54.
- Wednesday, February 28 - T/u homework. Introduction to the executive branch. Role of the Queen, Governor General and Prime Minister. Read pp. 55-62. Do #-15, p. 58 & #1-5, p. 62.
- Thursday, March 1 - Take up homework. PowerPoint (In the Government of Canada presentation). Discuss role of cabinet and watch Yes, Minister episode. Read pp. 64-71. Do #1-3, p.p. 67-68 sidebar, #1-4, p. 70 & #2-3, p. 71.
- Friday, March 2 - Take up homework. PowerPoint on the Judiciary(in the Government of Canada presentation). Read pp. 72-75. Do #1-3, p. 75. Read the handout on the courts and do the questions