Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 20-25




















Contact me by e-mail at:http://kbenoy@nvsd44.bc.ca/

Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/. You will be glad to know that now I have a prep. block, I am once again updating my website.

This blogsite will have all of the changing material -- lesson plans and links to assignments. I will try to ensure that all assignments are posted here.If you see something underlined, it means that you can click on the item to have it appear. I will do this for all pdf documents, PowerPoints, videos, and even some music.

Social Studies 8

Expect a unit test, on Wednesday February 23. It will be based on map reading and the use of Canadian Oxford World Atlas (7th edition). I was going to hand out a review package to you last Friday, but will give it to you now on Monday. Feel free to download it before then though!

Mr. Nann, a student teacher from UBC, will work with you for the next little while. I will be in and out of the classroom during this block -- but I remain available for extra help, even on material Mr. Nann is teaching. This is an excellent opportunity to take advantage of all the tutorial help we have with all of the adult bodies in this class. Mr. Nann's blogsite works much like my own. He will post his lessons at: http://nannsocials.blogspot.com/


  • Monday, February 21 - Take up the Earth Gridworksheet. Watch Longitude & Time Zones and The Remarkable Story of the Discovery of Longitude by Dr. Callahan . (If you have the time and interest, why not also look at Cambridge University's video The Longitude Problem.) Introduction to time zones. See Geographical Essentials, pp. 48-54 and watch this short clip on the International Time Zone. Time Zones worksheet. Complete for homework. If you get a chance, and want to get clearer about time zones, watch GEG-103-OL: Time Zones. A very helpful description of longitude and time zones can be found at this site from Iowa State University, which quizzes you as you work through it. Time Zone Review material - follow the instructions on the sheet. Everyone should do Section #1, but then only do the sections after this that you had trouble with. Be sure to come in for extra help at noon or after school if you are confused about anything.
  • Tuesday, February 22 - Take up the Time Zone worksheet. Watch World Time Zones and Why We Have Time Zones. Second time zone worksheet. Complete for homework.
  • Wednesday, February 23 - Geography Unit Test. Sign out History textbooks -- look them over if you finish early.
  • Thursday, February 24 - Mr. Nann is taking over the class at this point. See his blog while he is working with your class. You can find it at: http://nannsocials.blogspot.com/
  • Friday, February 25 - Today is a professional day. You get it off, while your teachers go to classes. Use the time to look over your textbook and see what we will be studying the rest of this year.


Social Studies 11


This class has the honour of working with our UBC student teacher, Mr. Nann. He will be with us for about half of the term. I will be in and out of the class, but I am always available for extra help, before school, at noon (except Wednesdays) and after school. Take advantage of the extra help available this semester!


Mr. Nann's blogsite is at: http://nannsocials.blogspot.com/



History 12


You must be sure to visit The History Guide for excellent background material supporting this course.

The Topic #2 test will be on Monday, February 28 -- this gives me some space if I cannot catch up the where I hope to be -- though I think we will actually finish the unit this Wednesday. If I do so, we will move on to the next unit's first lesson on Thursday.



For supplemental material to this unit, go to my Topic #2 webpage. If you have the time, be sure to look at some of the videos on my recommended Google video and You tube sheet.