Contact me by e-mail at: email@example.com
So you just want to see photos of Sutherland activities? Click here to see my Picassa Albums.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/.
- Monday, November 26 - Ghiberti and Donatello. Work on the package. Kenney Mencher's lecture on Ghiberti and the Gates of Paradise is an excellent resource. For a treatment of the famous Ghiberti/Brunelleschi competition for the commission of the doors, click here. SmartHistory's video on Donatello's David is an excellent treatment. You might also watch Donatello's St. Mark from the same series.
- Tuesday, November 27 - Massachio PowerPoint; Boticelli PowerPoint presentations. Work on the package. Watch Masaccio and the Early Renaissance (part 1, part 2) for a nice treatment of early renaissance painting. Another good treatment of Masaccio's Tribute Money comes to us from SmartHistory. Better still, see Sister Wendy's The Age of Genius, from her Story of Painting series -- covering the paintings of Masaccio to Michelangelo.
- Wednesday, November 28 - PowerPoint on Fra Angelico. Sister Wendy on Fra Angelico. Work on the Man the Measure of All Things package.
- Thursday, November 29 - Video: Art of the Western World; The Early Renaissance. Work on the package.
- Friday, November 30 - School Based Professional Day. Use the time to catch up!
Topic #4 Questions.
Topic #5 and 6 Plan. -- note, to ensure we have enough classes to complete course content, we will run units 5 and 6 into one -- "The Cold War" and we will not waste a block for a unit test as this material will form a significant part of the final exam that we write at the end of the course in any case. These questions will also be submitted in two parts. Questions #1-62 will come in at the end of the first week in January (marked out of 35) and the remainder are due on the last day of classes (marked out of 15).
Topic #5 and 6 questions
Note: Essay #2 will be due any time up until the end of the first week in December. Essay #3 will be assigned at that time.
- Monday, November 26 - Finish video The Cold War; Comrades; 1917-1945. Begin Chinese Revolution & the Korean War (base notes). If we finish early (unlikely!), we will watch as much as possible of CNN`s amazing Cold War series --Episode 5 Korea; 1950-1953. On your own, be sure to watch Episode 15 of China 1949-1972 from the same series. If you have time, watch China; Chairman Mao Declassified. Interested in Chinese 20th century history? Watch China in Revolution; 1911-1949 (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8,part 9, part 10).
- Tuesday, November 27 - Complete the lecture material from Monday. Additional Cold War AV -- probably Confrontation (sorry, not available online) about the Berlin Blockade and Korea, from the BBC 20th Century History series.
- Wednesday, November 28 - A look at the United Nations Organization (base notes). If time, begin the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe to 1956 (base notes). See what people thought of the United Nations when it was first founded -- watch the National Film Board film Now the Peace.
- Thursday, November 29 - The Soviet Union & Eastern Europe to 1956 (base notes). An interesting overview of the whole of the Cold War, showing the Soviet perspective well, is Britain's Channel 4 programme: The Cold War Game; The US.
- Friday, November 30 - This is a school based professional day. Be sure to spend time studying for the upcoming unit test and completing regular work.
- Monday, November 26 - Collect POW assignments. Take up Looking Back" #2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and; 14, p.129. Begin:Shoah/Holocaust -PowerPoint. Video: on the Holocaust (Frontline; Memory of the Camps – Chapter 4. Available online athttp://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/camp/view/.) This material is particularly horrifying. It is important to watch it if you can, but if you are unable to do so, please go to the "fishbowl" lounge area beside Mr. Nichols' room and study there until the video is over.
- Tuesday, November 27 - Complete the Holocaust video material. If time -- Introduction to post-war Canada. PowerPointPost 1945 Canada. Study for the upcoming unit test. Read pp. 130-135. Do sidebar questions p. 133 & 134 & #1-4, p. 135.
- Wednesday, November 28 - Take up homework. PowerPoint Post 1945 Canada. Material from Canada; A Peoples’ History; Comfort & Fear. (Comfort & Fear, From Sea to Sea and Boom- questions). Read pp. 135-139. Do #1-5, p. 139.
- Thursday, November 29 - PowerPoint Post 1945 Canada. Material from Canada; A Peoples’ History; Comfort & Fear. (Seeing Red, On Guard for Thee and The Shadow of Nuclear War -questions). Read pp. 140-146. Do sidebar questions pp. 140, 141 #1-2, 143 #3, 145 & #1-6, p. 146. Watch some anti-communist American propaganda from the 1950's He May Be a Communist,The Red Menace, and the ever popular film used in schools --Communism.
- Friday, November 30 - This is a school based professional day. Be sure to use this time to study for the test on Monday!