Contact me by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
So you just want to see photos of Sutherland activities? Click here to see my Picassa Albums.
Things that are static -- not requiring regular change -- can be found at my website:http://sites.google.com/site/kbenoy/.
- Monday, November 5 - Human Cathedral demonstration. Romanesque Sculpture PowerPoint. Slides of Romanesque sculpture -- Gislebertus at St. Lazare, Autun. Work on Great Thaw package.
- Tuesday, November 6 - Video – Art of the Western World; A White Garment of Churches Part 1, Part 2. Work on Great Thaw package.
- Wednesday, November 7 - The Western Tradition; Episode 20; The Feudal Order video. Work on Great Thaw package.
- Thursday, November 8 - Introduction to new package: Romance and Reality -- the Gothic age. Kenneth Clark video.
- Friday, November 9 - Gothic Painting PowerPoint. Sister Wendy video segment. Work on Romance & Reality package. If you have the time and inclination, do watch Bill Moyer's interview of Sister Wendy -a humble genius of art analysis and a cult heroine in Sutherland's Comp. Civ. 12 class.
*Please note that I changed the plan for the Week on Tuesday, November 6 to reflect that Monday and Tuesday's material was not completed. Our unit plan is now a little out of synch.
- Monday, November 5 - Lecture: Appeasement (base notes) - on PowerPoint. Watch The Road to War; Britain.
- Tuesday, November 6 - The Spanish Civil War (PowerPoint,base notes). Be sure to listen to some of the music of the Spanish Civil War - written at the time and inspired later. If you are interested in the Spanish Civil War and have the time, there is a good British documentary from Granada Television, The Spanish Civil War; Prelude to Tragedy Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. Each are about 53 minutes in length.
- Wednesday, November 7 - Complete Spanish Civil War material. See The Road to War; Britain - which we were unable to see on Monday. If there is additional time, we will watch additional material from this series.
- Thursday, November 8 - Video: Twentieth Century History: Britain Alone (If available) . World War II chronology (PowerPoint, base notes). Interested in the Battle of Britain? Be sure to watch the 1969 movie by the same name. Aircraft used were surviving models from the time - watch the climax scenes here. For a Canadian viewpoint on the battle, watch the 20 minute NFB film Churchill's Island. An excellent documentary of the Battle of Britain is Battlefield Britain; The Battle of Britain.
- Friday, November 9 - Introductory slideshow - Coventry Cathedral. World War II chronology (PowerPoint, base notes). 2/3 of the land fighting of WWII took place on the Eastern Front. Be sure to watch some video material on this important area. Try this almost two hour documentary The German-Russian War. For a 47 minute summary of 1941, including the start of the Russian war, watch Apocalypse; The Second World War (part 3).
- Monday, November 5 - Take up sidebar questions, p. 57 & 59, #1-3, p. 61, #1-3, p. 65. PowerPoint -Canada Between the Wars; 1919-1939. Read pp. 66-67, sidebar. Do #1-2, p. 67.
- Tuesday, November 6 - Please give a warm welcome to Mr. Wong, our Social Studies student teacher from UBC. Group work (Placemat) on the causes of the Great Depression. Use this information-gathering form for notes. Read pp. 69-72. Do #1-4, p. 72.
- The class not working with Mr. Wong will do the following: Take up homework. Take up homework. Background to the Great Depression (including statistics) - Continue PowerPoint - Canada Between the Wars; 1919-1939. AV on the Depression - (From: Canada; A People’s History) or watch Boom and Bust -- Did all North Americans share in the prosperity of the Roaring 20s? Explain. Read pp. 69-72. Do #1-4, p. 72..
- Wednesday, November 7 - Take up homework. Introductory video clip on the Great Depression. Continue PowerPoint - Canada Between the Wars; 1919-1939. AV on the Depression - (From: Canada; A People’s History - answer Viewing Guide questions). Read ppp. 74-79. Do sidebars 4-2, p. 77, 4-3, p. 78, 4-4, p. 79 and #1-4, p. 79.
- Thursday, November 8 - Take up homework. Watch Canada; A People’s History; Hard Times and do theviewing guide questions. If time we will continue with the PowerPoint on the interwar years. Read pp. 79-86. Do sidebar #1-4, p. 81, sidebar questions p. 82 & #3-4, p. 85 & #1-3, p. 86. On the Internet, watch The Crash of 1929.
- Friday, November 9 - Remembrance Day material -Benoys at War. Introductory video clip on the Great Depression. Take up sidebar questions p. 71 & 72 & #1-4, p. 72, sidebar questions p. 76, 78 & 79 & #1-2, p. 79. WatchCanada; A People’s History; Hard Times and do theviewing guide questions. If time we will continue with the PowerPoint on the interwar years. Do sidebars 4-16, p. 93, 4-17 & 4-18, p. 95 & 4-19, p. 96.